Palacios ISD Distinguished Alumni Awards Program
Purpose of the Distinguished Alumni Awards Program
To recognize and honor former graduates of the Palacios Independent School District whose achievements, strength of character and citizenship serve as models to inspire and challenge today’s students.
Goal 1: To honor Palacios ISD graduates who have distinguished themselves, and in doing so, brought honor and/or positive recognition to our school district and community.
Goal 2: To bring positive attention and publicity to the quality of Palacios ISD by highlighting successful graduates.
Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee
The Awards Committee shall be a standing committee of 9 members
- Six Palacios High School Graduates,
- One Board member,
- Two Palacios residents.
Each committee member shall serve for a three (3) year term, with terms running from the conclusion of one Graduation Ceremony through the implementation of the next Graduation Ceremony. Three (3) members shall rotate off each year. The Palacios ISD Board of Trustees shall name the new committee members. Past committee members must be off the committee for one year before re-election.
The Superintendent of Palacios ISD and the High School Principal shall serve as ex-officio members of the Committee, without voting rights. The Committee with majority rule will appoint replacements for vacant unexpired terms. The Palacios ISD shall maintain all records or files and act as archivist for the Distinguished Alumni Awards Program.
- Any person may submit a nomination for consideration to the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee.
- Submittal of the completed nomination form provided by the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee is required.
- Nominations will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. on the last school day in February.
Nomination forms are available on line at www.palaciosisd.org or Palacios ISD Administration Building reception desk, or a nomination form may be requested in writing to: Palacios ISD Alumni Nomination, 1209 Twelfth Street, Palacios 77465.
Personal Statement of Recommendation
On a separate document, please state why you believe the nominee should be considered for the Distinguished Alumni Award and attach it to the online nomination form.
Some possible topics to address in this attachment:
- Explain what this individual might have gained through Palacios ISD schools that helped him or her to become what he/she is today (specific extracurricular activities, interests or grade point averages could be included here).
- Describe what the nominee has contributed to the community (Palacios area or another community) and/or his or her profession since attending Palacios schools that makes this nominee deserving of recognition.
- Please explain why you feel this individual is a role model that current and future generations of Palacios ISD students could emulate.
Additional topics you may want to address:
- Career Summary
- Civic, Philanthropic, Religious, Fraternal and Political Activities
- Professional or Commercial Activities
- Non-Business Directorships and Trusteeships
- Citations and Awards
- Noteworthy Special Work
- Participation in Affairs of Palacios ISD
In addition to this form, you may submit other information for the selection committee’s consideration, which will demonstrate the qualifications of this individual. This may include a vita, newspaper or magazine clippings, etc. Please be as concise as possible in order to facilitate the sharing of this information with the committee.
Eligibility for Awards
- The Distinguished Alumni Award shall be open to any alumnus or alumna who graduated from Palacios High School and is at least forty-five (45) years of age at the time of nomination. Awards for alumni will be given for achievement in various fields of service including, but not limited to, the fine or performing arts, business, education, entertainment, law, medicine, military, philanthropy, politics, public service, religion, scholarship and science.
- Awards may be given posthumously and, in such instances, there shall be no age requirement.
- No current member of the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee shall be eligible for an Award.
- Current employees, or current Board Members of the district, are not eligible for consideration. Former students, teachers, administrators, Board Members who are Palacios ISD graduates are eligible, but all employees do not become eligible until they are former employees.
- Individuals may only win this award one time.
- The Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee shall receive and review each nomination. Award Honorees shall then be selected by the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee. No fewer than five Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee members shall be present for this selection. Proxies shall not be permitted.
- In each year, no more than two (2) awards can be given.
- The Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee reserves the right to reject any or all nominations.
- Individuals nominated for an award and not chosen, shall remain nominees for two (2) additional years; after which, the nomination may be resubmitted for consideration.
Formal Notification and Receipt of an Award
- Following the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee balloting, each Award Honoree shall receive a letter informing the Honoree of his or her election. Each Award Honoree shall submit a brief personal statement/acceptance, and a condensed version of career highlights.
- The award must be accepted in person or as approved by the Superintendent. Posthumous Awards shall be accepted by a member of the designee’s immediate family or by a person deemed acceptable to the Superintendent.
- Recognition will be made during the graduation ceremony each year and honorees’ will receive an award.
Nomination forms will be held for consideration for two years following the original submission date. If nominee is not selected for the current year, the application will automatically be considered during the next two award periods.
Nomination forms and Personal Statement of Recommendation must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. on the last school day in February, in the Palacios ISD Administration Office.
By Mail: 1209 Twelfth Street, Palacios, Texas 77465 (must arrive by deadline date)
By FAX: (361)972-3567 (must then send or deliver original)
By Email: email@example.com (must then send or deliver original)
By Hand Delivery: Palacios ISD, 1209 Twelfth Street, Palacios, Texas 77465
The committee is not responsible for nominations lost in the mail, delivered to the wrong location, not legible, missing pertinent information, or those received after the nominating deadline.